Freitag, 10. Februar 2006

Snow blogging, again

My guilty conscience is bugging me. When I got up today, my dad said there was too much snow and I should take the day off from work. I looked out the window. It had snowed all night and was continuing to snow, and it was windy, too. Hm.

The situation is not as bad here as in other parts of Germany, though, where there’s Katastrophenalarm, i.e. catastrophe/disaster alert, if you want the literal translation, or an emergency situation or whatever you call that. The administration had to announce that so they could call the Bundeswehr (federal army) to help shovel the huge amounts of snow off the roofs of buildings. Some have caved in already this winter, and in one case, people died because they were ice-skating in the place that broke down. People say we haven’t had this much snow for 40 years. And that’s what you call global warming, then?

As I said, other counties are worse off than we here, so I couldn’t decide whether to really stay home or go to work. So I wandered around the house for 10 minutes and then went back to bed. Of course, I was unable to fall asleep again, so I got up again about half an hour later. I called my boss at work, but as it was only 7.30 a.m., she wasn’t in yet. (I have to be there at 9 a.m., but she's there earlier normally.) I stayed up, went into the bathroom and had breakfast afterwards. The coffee I had made me feel hyperactive. I tried to reach my boss repeatedly and could finally get her on the phone at 9.15 a.m. She said it was okay that I stayed home, but she and my co-workers probably think it’s just an excuse so I can have a longer weekend. I don’t want them to think that. Damn.

To my defense, I should add that I felt pretty dizzy last night before I went to bed. I have low blood pressure and changes in the weather often have that effect. So it could happen again today. Earlier, when I talked to my boss, it had stopped snowing, but now it started again.

Another reason why I feel bad is that one of my co-workers lives in an area where they’ve had much more snow all week. She now comes to work by public transport and it takes her 2 hours for one way – twice as long as by car. So, shouldn’t I have gone by public transport, too? Well, the problem with that is that the bus route goes over a hill that is always a problem when the weather is bad. And no bus goes directly to the city where I work. I once went to work by public transport and took the train. But the train station is 6 km from here and that’s the worst part of my route cos it goes along b roads.

Blah. I feel like what I'm writing doesn't make much sense. I'll post it anyway, just because. Sigh.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...