Sonntag, 21. Mai 2006

Eurovision - oh my!

Last night – as every year for as long as I can remember (probably since the mid-1980s) – I watched the Eurovision song contest (formerly known as Grand Prix Eurovision de la Chanson or something like that, and still called Grand Prix in my family). It’s basically the same every year: lots of very colourful and very strange performances and not too great songs – although it really is a contest for song writers. The most famous band that ever took part is probably the Swedish group ABBA, who won in 1974 with the song Waterloo. This year I was really really proud of the German song and very much rooting for it and hoping for victory. The German band is called Texas Lightning. It consists of 4 German men and 1 Australian singer/songwriter. The song is No, no, never. As you can guess from the band's name, it's more or less a country song. But a good one, very light and sweet. It's the current no. 1 in our country's charts. The song really stood out among all the oriental beats and crazy dancers and female singers with their breasts almost popping out of their tiny tops. But guess who won? Finland. Now imagine the orcs from Lord of the Rings playing instruments, singing and wearing hats with the Finnish flag on them and you get the idea. The song wasn't the worst in the competition, but the oufits and make-up, really like straight from a horror movie ... I have no idea how anyone's gonna top that next year ...

For more info (in German) and pics go to Yahoo. English article here.

Okay, I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted the above last night. I'd like to add that this was the first time in 40 years (or so) that Finland has won, so it's okay cos it gets boring if the same countries win too often. And the winning song IS catchy, I have to admit that. I've been trying to get it out of my head, but more or less failed.

As to the presenters, one was a Greek singer who took part in the contest a couple of years ago. His first name's Sakis, that's all I can remember. And then there was Maria Menounos. I was surprised to see her there cos I only know her from a guest role in an episode of Without a Trace. I know she's an American TV presenter and I think she did a good job. I liked her hair better in the semi-final on Thursday. In the final on Saturday she looked like Debra Messing, so it was very appropriate when the guy who told them the vote from the Netherlands said "You look like Will & Grace", because Maria and Sakis really did.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my site so i came to
    go back the prefer?.I am attempting to find things to
    improve my web site!I assume its good enough to make use of some of your ideas!!

    AntwortenLöschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...