Dienstag, 6. Januar 2009

End of holiday

It's back to work for me tomorrow. Am nervous. And hope my car will start as it's freezing (-9 degrees Celsius right now). I un-dug it from 15 cm of snow yesterday.

Just wanted to report that I've seen 2 new films in the theatre over the holidays: Australia and Buddenbrooks.

Loved Australia from start to finish. Hugh Jackman is so good. Actually, the whole cast is, from villain David Wenham to Aboriginal boy Brandon Walters. Also loved the scenery and the epic-ness of it all - and the references to The Wizard of Oz which came as a surprise to me. Baz Luhrmann is one of my fave directors and I'll definitely get the DVD when it comes out.

The other film was a German one. Classic stuff, based on Thomas Mann's novel about a merchant family in Northern Germany in the 19th century. Can't say much about it. Good cast, nice costumes, but very depressing towards the end.

The next film I might go see is Twilight cos I've read all of the 4 vampire books by Stephenie Meyer. Am not too enthusiastic about them, though. Movie opens next week. We'll see.

3 Kommentare:

  1. I haven't seen Australia yet, but I want to. I really like Baz Luhrmann, but I'm not sure if I'm going to really like it.

    Go to see Twilight! I've also read all the 4 books by Stephenie Meyer (I couldn't stop!) and it's interesting. It's not what I expected, but I like it (of course you have to read the books first to get the meaning of the movie, if not, you can be lost, I think). Tell me about it when you see it, ok?

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Clara! Hi! I hope you'll like Australia!

    I've read all 4 Bella/Edward books so things shouldn't be too confusing : ) but I'm not sure I'll like the film version. They might have messed up some of the casting ... I want to give the film a chance, though, but I don't know yet when I'll have time to go see it cos I'll be busy next weekend.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hi!!
    I've seen both, Australia and Twilight. About Twilight I don't know if you'll like it or not. The "spirit" of the film is a little different from the book. It's not so introspective. But it's fun.

    Australia is one of those epic romantic movies like "Far and away". I think some parts of the story in the beginning are a bit lame and corny, but Hugh Jackman is great and I love the final part, the boy, the story of the aboriginal culture, the photograph, the clothes....

    Love and happy new year ;)

    AntwortenLöschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...